Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The Calling

The Calling (Endgame #1)

by James Frey and Nils Johnson-Shelton  

Plot:  

Imagine that you could be called upon to fight for you and your family line at any moment, but you didn’t know when. That your whole life you were trained to kill with flawless efficiency, and dispatch your enemies with ease. That there were eleven others just like you with different skills, mindsets and personalities. This is no ordinary competition. This is Endgame. Conditions, the players must be between the ages of 13 and 20 to play. To win, the players must collect three keys hidden around Earth. The rules, none. The winner spares his or hers family line from extinction. The losers die. Who will win? Will strength beat intelligence? Ruthlessness over kindness? Strong over weak? There can only be one. This is Endgame.     

My Thoughts:   

I got this book on my 16th birthday, which wasn’t long ago (March 26th) and I really liked this book. After reading the back of the book I thought it was gonna be another Hunger Games type of book, but after reading the first few chapters I was instantly drawn to it. The introduction and backstory of the characters was short yet informative, giving me ideas of what type of person he or she was. As you read on you get an idea of everyone’s perspective on the Endgame which really intrigued me to keep on reading. As I mentioned earlier this book reminded me of the Hunger Games novel but with a cool, sci-fi twist with it which I think makes it more appealing. Some of the character are really well rounded but I would of liked to know more of some the other characters backstory or history.    

I would recommend this book to people who like action, suspense, and some parts of romance. the second book to this series, Sky Key (Endgame #2) is out if you want to continue with the story I suggest you pick it up when you have the chance. But the first book, The Calling by James Frey and Nils Johnson-Shelton, is definitely worth the read.

Reviewed by B.C., Grade 10 Scona student

No comments:

Post a Comment