Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Duplicity

Duplicity

by N.K. Traver

Synopsis:

Imagine if one day your reflection does something it's not supposed to, starts changing your appearance? And then wants to switch places with you? This is what happens to high school student Brandon who is your typical rebel teenager. One morning when Brandon woke up his reflection wanted to change places with him. His reflection thinks that  he can replace him and live a better life in Brandon’s shoes. In this science fiction novel there is a little romance thrown into the mix with all the crazy things that are going on as well. How well would you survive in a computer knowing that someone else is living your life?


My Thoughts:

I decided to read this book because the cover intrigued me. It reminded me of a shattered mirror, also, the thing that grabbed me was in the beginning text pops up on Brandons computer saying, “here’s the game hacker, I’m done watching you ruin peoples lives.”  I found the book was just right but it was also challenging, the challenging part of it was that there was so much of the story going on at once. It was perfect because as I read deeper into the book background information was revealed to me. The techniques that enhanced the book was the fact that you weren't given any background information at the beginning of the book. I was thrown into the now moment. I really enjoyed this book because the fact that once you pick it up it’s superglued to your hand and you can't put it down. The book may relevant to readers because it shows us that we can't always trust the man in the mirror meaning we can't always trust ourselves to make the best choices and decisions.


My Recommendation:


I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a little science fiction as well as a little romance tangled up with it. If you do pick this book up, make sure you have a lot of time to read it, I didn’t want to put it down. Excellent read for anyone ages 14 and up. If you enjoyed the movie Oblivion you must read Duplicity.  
Reviewed by J. R., Grade 11 Scona Student

No comments:

Post a Comment