Thursday, April 24, 2014

In Darkness

In Darkness

by Nick Lake

Synopsis:

In the aftermath of the Haitian earthquake, fifteen-year-old Shorty, a poor gang member from the slums of Site Soleil, is trapped in the rubble of a ruined hospital, and as he grows weaker he has visions and memories of his life of violence, his lost twin sister, and of Toussaint L'Ouverture, who liberated Haiti from French rule in the 1804.

My thoughts:

I found this book really interesting as I got deeper into the novel, The way the flashbacks and the memories flowed from chapter to chapter really kept me wanting more. This book brings in actual events that were happening in Haiti at the time and refers to American Rn'B artist Wyclef Jean as a connection to Haiti as he was from there too. Out of a 10 I would rate this book and 8, It was a great book and even though there was some chapters that I got lost on I would always catch up somehow when reading on. This is a book that really would catch the attention of people that are interested into the world events.


reviewed by A.B., Grade 10 Scona student

No comments:

Post a Comment