Monday, February 4, 2013

Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures

By Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Synopsis:

 Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she''s struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever. Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town''s oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them. In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

Movie to be released February 14, 2013.


My thoughts:

I am one of those people that likes to read the book before the movie but that doesn't always work for me. Usually I find out a movie already came out and the book is buried somewhere in my to-do-read pile or I watch the movie and find out in the credits at the end that it was based on a novel  I had been considering this book for a while then I heard that it was being made into a movie and that decided it: I needed to read this book immediately. And am very happy I did because I liked it and I know the movie will be great but not as good as the book.  So the only thing I knew when picking up this book was it was about witches (after reading the book I learned they prefer casters) and I thought it was going to be about a girl.  Well I was sort of right; it is about witches (sorry casters) and there is a girl, Lena, but there is also a boy and the story is told from Ethan's point of view which I was not expecting one little bit and it kind of through me for a loop for a bit at the start.   Ethan lives in the southern town of Gatlin where nothing ever happens, everyone knows everyone, and where secrets aren't safe; he can't wait to get out and is just counting down the days till he can leave.  Everything changes though when Lena moves into town.  Lena is like no one Ethan or even the town for that matter has ever met and to top it off she is Old Man Ravenwood's niece and living in the oldest and most infamous plantation in Gatlin.  Lena tries to keep her distance from Ethan but he is persistent and slowly Lena starts to let him in and tell him the truth about her and her family. Lena is a caster and on her 16th birthday the light or the dark will choose her and she will have no say in the decision but something is happening to Lena and no one is telling her or Ethan anything.  So Ethan and Lena go looking for their own answers and discover a few secrets along the way.  As much as I liked this book there were a few problems.  I think my biggest problem was having Ethan as a narrator because at times it was hard to believe that the narrator was a guy. Also I did get rather frustrated with the plot and characters at how obviously secretive they were and it usually didn't seem like it was for any good reason. That being said I really did like this book.  It was a nice easy read and at times truly hilarious (Ethan's aunts are fantastic and I hope they are in every single book).  I look forward to reading the next book in the series.



No comments:

Post a Comment